Wednesday 13 June 2007

Thursday May 31, 2007

An encouraging welcome! Times 3!


Well, a big thank you to Peg from www.Woolinmysoup.com for her kind comments and she has some very good advice I will take under serious advisement – she’s right you know – we can’t do it all and I need to remember that taking time to have a slow day now and again is definitely not a bad thing!!! A serious battery re-charging is good for all of us now and again! As long as you can knit through it, of course!

Yes Peg – the Tulip Festival http://www.tulipfestival.ca/index.html is done for the year (I think the rain this week will finish them off) and sadly I don’t get to see them except in the newspaper as we were in beautiful Vermont that week. They are quite a sight that’s for sure! And I haven’t been to the Byward Market http://www.byward-market.com/ either yet this spring, but am totally beginning to feel the urge to prowl through the stalls, so I can tell another girly day needs to be planned! I love to visit the flower stalls – the colors are absolutely incredible and so inspiring! Aren’t Beaver Tails a wonderful thing? After living here for 6 years I finally had my first taste last winter while checking out the Ice Sculptures – all that sugary goodness in a one hand friendly delight - heavenly!!!!

Kelly from http://hedgehogknits.blogspot.com/ gave me lovely warm welcome to the blogging world and put me on to the National Capital Knitters webring and a local Knitting yahoo group –more local knitting buddies to hang with both on-line and in person! Yippee! Kelly – Your knitting skills outclass me by miles if your pic’s are any indication, but I’m definitely going to be checking you folks out for sure! Did I mention I love coffee too, maybe even more than knitting (is that possible)?

And Karen at http://www.cornflower.typepad.com/ was also sweet enough to make note of my special anniversary last week, and she had one too, so right back at you Karen! Check out her amazing photography on her blog. Karen – I’ll be showing your photos to my youngest DD as she has an interest in architectural photography too and will love these.

I polished off the Moda Dea Sassy Stripes socks, and they are plushy goodness in every way! The pattern was fast and easy (I’m still a novice sock knitter, so I’ve been hunting for an easy heel to turn and this was definitely it!), the yarn lovely in my hands, and they wrap your happy feet in all the nicest of ways! I made the large size just to see how big it is and they are like loose fitting girly work socks on my medium sized feet. Great for wearing on a rainy day, while hunkering down under your afghan on the couch doing nothing (see Peg – I get do it!).

Naturally the girls are clamouring for a pair for themselves now, and wouldn’t you know it – I can’t find Sassy Stripes Sock yarn anywhere in Ottawa – how can that be? Does anyone know where some may be had? I picked up the original 2 skeins from Mary's Craft Supplies Inc in Finch, Ontario on Hwy 43 heading to Cornwall just before Chesterville. Mary has lots of yarn and tons of other craft supplies, and is so lovely and helpful. But do check her hours here before you go: http://www.wecornwallarea.ca/members.php?id=328. I tried to coax the G-man into collecting a little care package when he is in the area, but he declined as he would be in “work mode” - now what kind of excuse is that when your wife is in dire next of a bulky sock yarn fix, I ask you??

Then in a fit of what to do next after dinner (which really means I am procrastinating about picking up any of my various WIP’s), I cast on for another Taos Beret using a left over skein of Lions Brand Wool-ease in Seaspray. It’s a fast and easy knit, but will give me time to ponder the next item on my lengthy to-do list. I’ll give it to our oldest DD as she already has a matching cabled scarf, cabled bag and cabled mitts in this yarn from Christmas last year. I was learning cables last year and got a little carried away! And this will just finish up the yarn from my stash quite nicely.

My stash reduction campaign is not doing well this spring. Between all the traveling we have done (there is a standing agreement between the G-man and I that yarns or fabrics will be procured on any trip when it presents itself and I feel I must bring it home) and lovely donations from friends and fellow Tuesdays Are For Knitting S’nB-ers, my stash is not showing any definite signs of shrinkage!

I was preparing the single spare bed in my craft room for DD2 as she gives up her double bed when the in-laws visit, and I realized I simply cannot contain my current stash and WIP’s. It is a dreadful situation, and one I must get a hold of immediately. That being said, I did order on-line more Odyssey from the Northeast Fibre Arts Center http://www.northeastfiberarts.com/ in Vermont for a matching scarf for my lovely beret!!

Sigh….. Knit on……….

Kate


No comments: