Thursday 28 June 2007

I was just looking, really,.....

Have you seen this, by the wonderfully talented blogger, the Angry Chicken (aka Amy Karol)?

Or this by Celine Dupuy:

My favourite newsstand was out of stock of my favourite British magazines, Simply Knitting so I went to my local Indigo Book Store to get it, and made the grievous of errors in wandering over to the Home section to see what was new in books. It was a mistake of great magnitude. In fact Amy Karol’s book was only launched yesterday and wasn’t even on the shelf, but was rapidly produced from the shelving cart on request to “just have a peek”.

I’m not sure how it happened. One minute I was contented enough with having secured my magazine purchase and the anticipation of a pleasant evenings read, and the next minute I was walking out the door with a bag laden with lovely, inspiring, and soul-pleasing books. I was a little startled when I got home and emptied the bag, since I don’t really remember when I actually decided to purchase these two books. This morning I woke up, and I caught myself smiling, still pleased to see them by my bed where they were gently placed late last night before I feel asleep dreaming of printed fabrics and other hand-made lovelies.

I like this new breed of books that has filled the bookstore shelves lately. Rather than just putting together specific pattern instructions (although these are there too), these brilliantly talented authors have created books that are really more like roadmaps and travel guides to making personal, one of a kind, hand crafted items. The items suggested are limited only by your imagination and indeed it is encouraged and almost expected that you will supplement your purchase of new materials to include reclaimed fabrics, notions and novelties in your creations. Since I am always on clothes budget, and would love to have a limitless closet of uniquely flattering styles for every season, I love the resurgence to revive and refresh tired articles, items that still have lots of wear and still fit well, with new punches of patterned fabrics or fibres. Or when the day has come, and your favourite item is no longer wearable, what about salvaging the wonderful print into the lining of a newly knitted bag, and maybe creating a few co-ordinating flower pins to add to your blazer or bag?

The possibilities put forward by these books are easy to do and easy on the pocketbook too, and definitely will have me itching to create my own stylish custom accessory.

Knit (and sew) on ……Kate

No comments: