Tuesday 19 June 2007

I saw it, and now I want one too… or maybe two, or three, or….

The first step to recovery is admission. So here goes. I am a bag addict. I love them. I firmly believe that one cannot, under any circumstances, have too many bags. I truly believe there is a bag for every occasion, and that one bag does not fit all.

I have many bags, and when I like a bag I buy it in multiples, in every color if I can. I like a bag for every purpose and a purpose for every bag. I have bags everywhere in my home, in my car, at work. I need more hooks for my bags. I have purses too, which are technically bags, but we won’t go there today. I want more bags. There are those in the family who shall remain nameless who are responsible for this love of bags, but this is a family friendly blog, so digression into family matters remains the domain of brave therapists only.

I have 5 sturdy canvas boat bags for shopping and toting weekend gear to and from the car. I have recently switched from plastic shopping bags to 10 environmentally shopping tote bags now stored in the car, oh and two more in my car, that makes twelve, made from recycled fibres. I have 6 straw bags in various shapes and sizes for market shopping expeditions. I have 4 rigid plastic woven market totes for storing WIP’s in my craft room and beside my favourite family room chair. I have a black soft-sided business bag for trucking my lunch and my knitting to and from work, and a separate bag for Knitting Guild. And I have begun to collect knitting bags in all shapes and sizes, I especially love freebies and give-aways from our LYS’s and knitting magazines for this, since I discovered the right bag for each project goes a long way to project containment and portability further solidifying my knitting happiness.

Bags make a statement, like: I came prepared; I have a bag. Or, I can manage my purchases thanks; I have a bag. Or, I really do care about the environment; I have a bag. And of course, don’t I look good; I have a bag.

And, I have made bags too! A few summers ago I tried my hand at a crocheted bag made of strips of grocery store plastic bags (my family thought I was really strange then!). It worked up fairly easily, although the number of plastic bags to be cut into strips was never-ending, although quantity wise that was environmentally good as it keeps them out of the landfill and gave them a second life. And it is very, very sturdy, although not as aesthetically pleasing as I would have like. Still functionality is first in my book and I can see a place for reclaimed items such as this.

Recently I sewed up a few book bags from stash fabrics in honour of the fact that I have returned to using my library, and therefore required a tote that would be gentle on the books as they traveled to and fro.

And I tried my first felting project this past winter, a felted messenger bag of my own design with a long strap in Patons Classic Merino Wool in Taupe and Chocolate Brown, which I am very pleased with. And in fact, I hope the Cool Corder* that I mentioned previously, will have a part in embellishing this bag even further.

And yesterday, I saw another bag at Knitting Guild, like a tiny version of this one here at Lene’s blog:
http://lenealve.blogspot.com/2007/06/french-market-bag.html


Lene’s bag is truly beautiful, and the pattern is free from here: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTfrenchmarket.html


And now I must knit one too, or two, or three…..sigh…. I think I must need treatment for this addiction. I haven’t stopped thinking about The French Market bag since I saw it. It has all the qualities that I like in a bag: it is a simple shape and a simple pattern, it can be any color I desire, I can customize it with embellishments or not, as I choose, potentially it could use up stash yarn and stash fabric for lining (which is very good), and it is immensely practical and comfortable to use.

I dare not mention it to the G-man – he’ll lose it for sure. Just what we need, he’ll say, another bag. Right. I got caught recently looking at a bag, a lovely printed fabric bag, with pockets and things, just right for a girl like me with stuff to carry, and so he quickly warned me to back away from the bag.

If I make some French Market bags, I wonder if I told him they were presents, would he believe me? I can do that, give bags away, to like minded people who love bags as much as I do, who will give them a good home, and a proper hook to hang on, and lots and lots of outings in the fresh air.

Yes, that ‘s what I’ll do. I swear it. I’ll find any French Market bags that I knit good homes, and we’ll all feel better for it. Really. I promise. Cross my heart.

Knit on……….
kate

No comments: