Thursday 10 May 2007

Comfort.

What does it mean to me? What pops in my head when I hear that word?

Well, I am a Mom, so – hugging, holding, cuddling, Kleenex, tea, laughing, playing, cookies, my favourite chair, coffee in bed, companionship, warmth, softness, love, quiet, safety.

Now take away all the above – imagine not having any of that. Imagine having nothing. No one to cuddle. No one to hold. No one to play with. Nothing.
Now have you seen these, from here:http://www.cindi.org.za/?q=Comfort-Dolls ?

Aren’t they funny looking?
Don’t they make you smile?
Don’t you want to hold one in the palm of your hand?
Don’t you just want to hide one in your pocket like your own little secret pal to keep you company and comfort you?

I know I do!

And every little child I have every known would want one too. And so I’m making them, for children who have nothing. For children, who need to smile and laugh and play and forget, if even only for a few minutes, the circumstances that surround them. I am making them for children that may only have a small pocket in the clothes they stand in, in which to hide their little doll from the cruelty of others who would take away their small comfort. I am making them so they will know that even strange people in a far away do care about them.

And it takes no time to make them, a couple of hours from start to finish for the average knitter. And they use up all those bits I can never find use for, but even for stash-laden” knitters like me, are too much to throw away with good conscience, “in case they might come in handy”! And those durable acrylics that we so often snub for knitting personal items are just right for this project. Durability is key. And the sky is the limit when it comes to your creativity – make them with hats, make them with hair, make them with crazy colors, the brighter the better!

Want make some with me too? My S’n B buddies have taken up the challenge, and we’ll be setting a goal, and knitting like crazy.

If it makes me feel this good just to make them, imagine how a children might feel with one of these in their pocket!

Knit on....
Kate

No comments: