Thursday 24 May 2007

one in a series of belated posts....

Thursday April 12, 2007

Been a while since I was here. I know, and I’m sorry. It’s my so-called life getting in the way of the fun stuff - so lets get caught up! There has been some serious knitting happening here, in between this and that, and lo and behold, some FO’s have appeared!

First pair of basic ribbed socks in teal are done done done! And surprisingly comfortable, if not a little warm for spring weather (I never seem to time my projects very well in the temperature vs. wear-ability category) – but they will be gorgeous and toasty next winter in my steel-toed work boots. And a second pair in a burgundy variegated stripe is on the needles and going strong.

The Big Blue Sidar Shawl got finished in March, ‘cept for a little blocking – today would have been great to wear it – it’s freakin’ snowing up a storm here! Let’s hope the last one for the season! Anyway Big Blue is gorgeous, the ribbing long and lovely, and pom-poms perfectly poised along the ends!

And in fix-it land, the black tank from Debbie Stroller’s Stitch and Bitch, has been extended to a more suitable length for me (in retro-spect I should have put in even more short rows then suggested at the bust and lengthened the torso by another inch to accommodate my, ahem, generous bust line!). The fix was way easier than expected. I just picked up the cast-on edge and garter-stitched a new 2” band on the back and the front that matches the garter band traveling down the front. Perfect fix if I do say! Can’t wait for good weather to wear it since no one at work believes I have ever made anything I can wear! Except for mitts and hats and scarves!

2 (not 1, but 2!) Anthropology-like shrugs from craftster.com in Briggs & Little 3 ply, 2 skeins double stranded. One shrug in Turquoise and one in Plum, and just as cute as can be, with a contrasting random button closure from the button jar. The recipient DD2 is very pleased. These were a very fast and satisfying knit. 2.5 evenings an y’er all done! DD1 would like to have a version in a finer yarn, but not sure how to get my head around calculating that, so will ponder a while.

The Meditation Scarf (of Bad Intentions!) purchased at the Inspirations Needlework and Craft Show, Ottawa 2006. It is intended that you meditate good thoughts while you knit, and when complete you wrap yourself in good karma! Meant to be slightly triangular, but the pattern and I differed in how we M1 (which I think should read as Inc.1 which is quite different) resulting in a rigid edge which I did not like one bit, and in the end I ripped it out 3 times and created a wide garter stitch scarf (no mean feat using 3 strands of very different textured yarns) with opposing mitered triangular ends. And I am quite pleased finally, although concerned about the bad karma that is undoubtedly infused into it now. I have it lying out and about where others can see it and remark on it loveliness and hope that eventually the bad intentions will seep away and it will be safe to wear!

On the needles (besides socks) – Patons Basics Next Steps Two vest in Patons 100% Merino, Tree Bark Mix, a lovely mossy green. Too bad I put it down after the car accident, as it would be great to wear right now. I think soon it will be too hot to wear, but it will be perfect next fall when it begins to get cooler again.

And, oh joy! I found some Fleece Artist at the Bank St. Yarn Forward that seems to match beautifully to my 2/3’s finished Ruffles and Ridges Shawl Wrap by Fibre Trends. This was the beach vacation knit, but along the way I realized I would run out of yarn and had to stop until more could be found. As soon as the Tree Bark vest is finished I’ll pick up where I left off and git’er done!

I have yet to felt the Patons 100% Merino Wool Beige and Chocolate Messenger bag that has been finished since January, but it is on the list of things to do this week, and I swear I’ll get this fulled and blocked up before our Guild meeting next Monday – there - a little dateline pressure can only help!

Had to cancel our Tuesday Night SnB this week, as the girls had other obligations and our Sens hockey team has made the playoffs making life a driving misery for non-hockey enthusiasts. We will hope for better schedules next week, and maybe the Sens will have some away games!

Last week I attended a meeting of ArtWear, a group of great women who all work in fibre arts of various kinds, quilting, hand-dying fibres, couture sewing, and many of whom produce extraordinary wearable art and make a living at it too! It was exciting to see what they had been working on, and I’m sorry I missed their fall challenge project, which was Recycled Couture. The finished projects were amazing and other works in progress that were shown were very exciting! There was even a demo of how embroidery silk thread is hand-dyed, and the results were stunning. I could have just fondled it all night!

I came away from that meeting totally revved up, and have been eyeing my stash for creative possibilities ever since. I am particularly enamoured with the idea of creating new wearable accessories from scraps and leftovers. I hate throwing away bits and pieces, especially textiles, and always wish I could come up with something cool from something leftover. I would have made a great pioneer, since I can make anything out of anything textile, but it is far more difficult to make it not only useful but, hip and visually appealing as well. But then appealing is in the eye of the beholder, now isn’t it!

No comments: