Monday 10 March 2008

A wee bit of snow!

So we had a little snowstorm this past weekend (about 51cm or 20 inches, about 1.5cm shy of some record set in 1947), and this was the view from my upstairs family room window on Sunday afternoon after it was all over:

I didn’t mind. Really. We were ready, having done the groceries and any other necessary errands a few days before, and so it was very lovely to just sit beside this and soak up the radiant heat:

And while my aching bones basked in the delightful warmth, I knit on this (Sanna, do you recognize the wool? Yes, it is the Citrine Sock being knitted in the gorgeous golden Hailuoto wool! Lovely to work with, just lovely!):

This very old little man also enjoyed the heat and snoozed nearby to keep me company:

I had lots of this to keep me from falling asleep by the fire:

I had a few of these to share with the neighbors who managed to brave the swirling winds and hike through the snow to visit:

And those who came to my kitchen were treated to these heavenly smelling daffodils (from the G-man just because!), the promise of spring for winter weary souls:

And the G-man was in his element ‘wrastlin’ his ancient snow blower throughout the neighbourhood, dispensing the joy of cleared driveways to weary shovel-ers everywhere:

Yesterday I finally ventured outside from my perch beside the fire to survey the sights and soak up some of the afternoon sun that had appeared. There were some really big snow banks blocking the view of the other houses:

And the back loop of our street is impassable since the big snowplough got stuck at an ice drift that has formed, and I think we have lost part of the cedar hedge from the weight of the snow. I heard on the news this evening someone's house had the roof split in half because of the weight of the snow!

Now I know what you are thinking, and yes, we have confirmed that we are covered by flood insurance, since you know that it’s going to melt sometime and Lord help us when it does! We’re going to need an Ark!

And now a few little Public Service Announcements:

1) Did you change your fire alarm batteries when you changed your clocks forward (for those of us on Daylight Savings time)? And don’t tell me you were late for work this morning because you forgot to change your clocks too!

2) With the incredible volume of snow around your houses, please don’t forget to clear off your natural gas meter, pressure regulator and appliance vents to ensure they are clear of snow and ice. Snow and ice should be gently cleared from natural gas equipment and vents with a broom to prevent blockages of deadly exhaust from your home.

That is all. Please attend to the above-mentioned chores and return to your knitting as quickly as possible.

Knit on….

3 comments:

Susan said...

A nice, lush, photo essay of the last few days. Well done! :)

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

Wasn't that beyond belief? Because my driveway is so large I'm glad that we have a neighbour with a tractor who plows for us.

-sanna- said...

I envy you! You have so much more snow than we have this year. It was nice to see so many pictures and the socks do look lovely...