Tuesday 11 March 2008

Practicing….

Tonight is TAFK, and it promises to be a rocking evening as there will be 7+ knitters squeezed in my family room, all vying for elbowroom, needles clacking away.

In the interest of being able to work with only one eye on my sock, I thought I better practice a short row heel. Yes, I made just a heel. Looks terribly strange all out on it’s own without it’s gusset, leg or toe, but there it was - one giant heel!

DD2 got a kick out of it, claimed I was a bit strange, but after trying to do it with my lovely Citrine Sock three times, I decided a practice heel was the way to go.

I hate it. Aside from the fact it look funny as just a heel on it’s own is ought to do, I don’t like the way the sssp decrease looks on the right side, and I don’t like the ridge on the inside of the sock the k2tog decrease on the opposite side produces either.

I’m going to try a heel from my Crazy Toes and Heels book by Queen Kahuna. I have some more reading to do, but I think hers are more closed and if the pictures are to be believed, the decreases lie quite flat along the heel. As well she has some crazy technique involving orthodontic rubber bands, which promises to end the massive counting that I keep screwing up!

That is all. My heel and I are going to take a walk.

Knit on….

No comments: