Wednesday 11 July 2007

A picture victory - sort-of….

Well, as you can see we had some pictures in the last entry!! Not yet my own, but at least we’ve worked out some of the laptop bugs, and can now “borrow” some free pictures to spice up my writing space! No longer do I have to just give you the link and let you fend for yourself. Now I can show you just where I’m going and exactly what I’m looking at, and that pleases me to no end!

Soon we will have the laptop memory problem fixed (alas, it is apparently old and grumpy and forgetful and doesn’t enjoy my pictures downloads as much as I do!) and we’ll have some of my own work displayed for you viewing pleasure! In the mean time, please check out the ticker bar on the right hand sidebar – I’m using a scrapbook layout ticker to mark my Afghans for Afghans square countdown – 9 down, 26 to go!!

The Blanket - I’m having real trouble finding the required wool content at reasonable prices, and my own 75%+ wool stash is all but exhausted. I think I have enough for 3 or 4 more squares, and then I don’t know what to I’ll do. I’ll scour the thrift stores again for odd balls, and maybe take a tour of Knit Knackers here in Ottawa http://www.knit-knackers.com/default.htm to see what they have in the way of end of the line wool skeins. Yarn Forward http://yarnforward.com/ca/index.html in Kanata, tells me they are out of low dollar odd ball wool for this project. This is a problem I didn’t anticipate – the high wool content that is required for this blanket is making this a very expensive under-taking and I shouldn’t wonder that others must in the same boat. Still my commitment level remains very high to completing this project.

This weekend was busy with round the house chores and appointments, and some badly needed freshen-the-place-up trim painting got done at DD1’s place too. Sunday was blissfully un-scheduled and we all used the gloomy weather to indulge in some quality down time.

And yesterday I got a new roof. Picture if you will, a small group of people standing way down the street (our house has the highest elevation) staring hard and muttering to one another, “Can you see the pattern? I can’t see the pattern. Is there a pattern? There’s supposed to be a pattern?”. The shingle of choice was listed as Shadow Black, reported to appear slate-like when installed. Uh, ya. OK. Maybe. Looks black to me! Still, the job was done well, sort-of black is good for me, and I am filled with relief that the 19 year old roof is gone and we are one step closer to finishing the major home maintenance that was required when we bought the house 4 years ago. Now, this does mean however, I won’t be quitting my day job anytime soon – crap – there are bills, people, big bills! Puts a serious cramp in my knitting budget for sure!

I picked up the new Fall Knitscene magazine to read while it rained on Sunday afternoon - http://www.knitscene.com/ – oh it’s a good one! I like the feel of this magazine, trendy without being too weird for my age group – I mean I can see my 40-something body in some of these things, and others things to make for the DD’s. Have you seen this?
I. Must. Knit. It. The Mobious Firefly Scarf/Vest is a definite knit for sure! I love, love, love hands- free scarves and shawls.

Knit on…….
kate

1 comment:

AB&AB said...

I can give you some wool, I think. What weight are you using? I have some in my stash.
Amy (the other AB of AB&AB) Keep up the great knitting!