Wednesday 4 July 2007

It's Good to be Square!

I’m going great gang-busters on the Afghans for Afghans – 5 squares down – 30 to go. I’m going to get a ticker bar going like Wovenflame here http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/ has for tracking her walking miles, and then I’ll track my afghan squares down.

And since I am going to be short of 100% wool content, DD2 and I went wool shopping at Yarn Forward http://yarnforward.com/ca/index.html last Friday. In lieu of DD2 actually knitting a square – yes, I confess to having a muggle or two in the family - her social conscience was boosted and rated highly by her mother with a ball of Lett Lopi http://www.yarnfwd.com/ca/lettlopi.html that was duly purchased to donate to the cause and aid the progression of the squares.

And DD1 has stepped up to the plate and declared her total support and her knitting skills to knit a square or two, or whatever she can get done! What a gal! No muggle there I tell you!

I have yet to spring my project on the Tuesdays Are For Knitting group, but hope to solicit their support and get a few squares from them. They are a great crew and I know they’ll come through for a good cause!

When this is done, I’ll have nary a thread of real wool left in the house (acrylics and blends excepted – ok, that’s a big exception!) – every scarp of real wool is going into this blanket, and I hope to empty many of those little bags of tiny balls of the last few yards of wool, too big to throw out, too small to make even a baby mitten, from ends of other projects that I have sitting around that I just can’t throw out! Lots and lots of blocks, and stripes, and log cabins a la Mason-Dixon Knitting http://www.masondixonknitting.com/. And my goal is too have a little touch of green in each one, the color of nature and beloved color of Islam. It will be quite a sight, and I’m not sure how the finished blanket will look as my sense of color compatibility is known to go completely awry when I’m on a time and materials constraint such as this. Still I will unify it with one color crocheted seaming and edge binding – I was thinking of black, but I just came into a large enough quantity (and free is good!) of a lovely watery blue 75% merino wool mix, which would be more than enough to piece together the blanket, and think perhaps that will work out fine too.

Time to get back to the pointy sticks! Gotta crack out another square!

Knit on…….

kate

No comments: