Sunday 2 December 2007

Seems to be going around.....

Susan talks about it. And so does Peg. And even Lene has spoken of it in the past. Happens to everyone I think at some point in time. Seems to be going around a lot right now.

Blog fatigue or blog fade. Like when you have nothing to write about. Or at least you feel you have nothing you want to write about. Or you are just plain sick of writing about everything. Or you are sick of everybody else’s writing! Gets a bit routine after a while, and you have to wait around for something different to happen to write about. Why it feels like making bag lunches everyday!!

So what’s a blogger to do about it? I don’t know. I don’t think it has hit me yet, but I am sure it will at some point. I think though it is important not to get out of the habit of blogging regularly, so that when lightening hits again I’m ready and already in the groove. For me blogging is still about finding the time to get what I want to say out into blog-dom in a timely manner. Therefore I’m always behind and, not yet anyways, out of things to write about (now take note here: we are not actually discussing if you are interested in what I am writing, merely whether I am writing or not!).

But Susan is right. There is little in the way of fodder out in blog land at the moment. But if I take my own life and surmise the same time constraints and the necessity of keeping little secrets in the bag at this time of year on other bloggers with certainly less time on their hands than I do, I can see clearly how it has become increasingly challenging to come up with tantalizing subjects to write about. And my lack of pictures doesn’t help either! I’m still learning to carry and use my camera at all times!

So, taking my own advise to DD1 who writes monthly articles for a major newspaper chain and regularly experiences writer fatigue or fade, I hold a few ideas or F.O.’s in reserve just so I can pull them when the pickings are slim. And since the pickings are slim today due to all my knitting being about Christmas presents for recipients that read this blog, I’ll show you two of the household items I knitted earlier this year. It may or may not interest you, but either way I will have fulfilled my blogging obligations for the week.

My kitchen is painted a warm, Bermuda sand yellow (selected by professional decorator/writer DD1), and all my kitchen linens are a cheerful pumpkin orange. In keeping with the theme, I knitted 6 almost standard size placemats from two strands held together, one each of Bernat natural colored cotton and a pumpkin orange 100% acrylic from Red Heart Super Saver. Nothing expensive, and certainly falls into the quick, cheap and cheerful category!

At the time I knitted these I was quite fascinated buy the random variegations in color and texture I could get when holding two different colors and textures of yarn together allowing them to twist and wind, or just lie side by side as they were inclined to randomly do as the yarn pulled through my fingers in endless garter stitch. The rugged but even textural quality of the finished pleases me to no end and I can be found frequently enjoying the tactile quality of these placemats by smoothing them out as I sit at the table.


With lots of leftover cotton hanging about, I was reading a Suss Cousins book from the library and was inspired to make these co-ordinating napkin rings with non-matching buttons from my brown button jar. They are very functional, but naïvely charming at the same time, and again I enjoy the feel and look of them every time I use them.


So there you go. No blog fatigue here yet. Always keep one in ‘yer back pocket, I say!

Knit on….

p.s. and Susan – thanks for the blogging subject idea!! I was really wondering what to write about this week!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Ack. Good things coming from my kvetching! Thanks for the positive spin! :)
Love the napkin holders. Stylish and sweet.