Thursday 29 November 2007

I can’t help myself!

I knew it was a mistake to pick up the Michaels flyer. The newspaper flyers were just laying there so innocently, a few Christmassy things on the front. I really thought I was safe. I needed nothing. It seemed harmless enough. I took it upstairs thinking a little light reading to induce a nap would be just the thing.

I was wrong, oh so very, very wrong. There it was, page two. A two’fer. You know, two for one low price, or two for the price of one, etc. Instantly I was snagged. There was no avoiding it. I had to read it. Two’fer what, I wondered?

Amoungest the other two’fers, was this little beauty: Patons Classic 100% Merino, two balls for $8.00 ($Reg 6.99/ball). I could feel my resolve leaving me with all the urgency of sailors abandoning ship! A savings of $3.00/ball is nothing to sneeze at people. I will not indulge you people who feel the need to point out that my $36.00 plus tax savings are not really savings at all since I have to spend money in the first place. We are not debating that point here. In my little world I have saved, or at least not spent $36.00 + tax more than I could have, and that is fine with me. This is a great basic Merino, for any number of projects, and especially good for felting. I didn’t need to do any felting. For that matter, I didn’t need any Merino, really. But again, totally beside the point.

So that is how I found myself on Saturday morning with DD1, barely containing her amusement at my arms loaded beyond human capacity, with 8 balls in Leaf Green, and 2 balls of Black, and 2 balls of Grey Mix. The Leaf Green is for the Loop Collared Vest pattern I have on file (for which I cannot find an on-line picture!), although I had to get two different lots, so I will have to alternate rows to ensure a good blend is achieved.

And the black and grey are for legwarmers for “they that shall remain nameless to protect their dignity” despite the fact they want them very badly to relieve aching calves brought on by the cold weather! I found a lovely basic legwarmer pattern for free from a lovely on-line shop called Ekebo Designs in Finland that should work up very well with only a teeny bit of re-calculating.

So I will have lots of January knitting to do! I think I will take the Collared Vest on vacation with me, as most Canadian airlines still allow knitting on the planes. It is a simple rectangle with slots for arms, not too big to haul around, is knitted on circs (always good on the plane!) and if I get it finished, I can wear it back and make more room in my suitcase!

That is all. Do not think badly of me. I’m only human, and seriously flawed at that! I can only pray to the Gods above that next week there is not another flyer!

Knit on……….

1 comment:

Susan said...

Gosh, we sure suck at this whole effort to get our yarn spending under control. I fell down again today at Wool-Tyme... another mitten kit snuck home with me.
I'll absolve your "sins" if you absolve mine... :)