Monday 21 April 2008

Some news is not always better than no news…

We have news.

The kind of news that no one can bear to hear spoken aloud lest it become more real than it already is.
The kind of news that clips you in the shoulder, without a passing glance, to see if you stayed on your feet – which of course you didn’t.
The kind of news that spins you off your axis and plops you right on your ass, leaving you dazed and confused, wondering what the hell just happened?
The kind of news that doesn’t even pass the Kleenex box when your eyes fill with tears, and run silently down your face.

For the past few mornings when I get out of bed, the planet beneath my feet seems shifty like when you are standing on a boat trying to keep your footing. On the surface nothing appears to have changed, and yet my eyes feel like they are looking through a warped pane of glass and everything has changed and is slightly askew.

We have been told to ready ourselves for a battle. A battle for a life they say. And so with the help of friends and family we have begun to prepare. The phone is ringing and the e-mail is full, the messages full of love and hope.

And within my little knitting world, the best of the best have come to be with us. One by one they have come to stand with our little family hand in hand, holding us just a little closer to their hearts, their purpose clear in their eyes. They are there for us and we are grateful beyond measure. And their hope is knitting us a safety net to catch the bits and pieces of our hearts and hold them together while we ready for what is to come next.

And while I am held together in their loving embrace, I am knitting too. Knitting my way through the tears and the anger and the immense fear that is threatening to swallow me up. I am knitting my way towards hope.

One stitch after another, my fingers are finding the rhythm again, seeking solace and comfort in the simple ritual of passing string over stick. No fancy stuff here, just simple repetition over and over, soothing my swirling thoughts, passing the time as we wait for the rest of the news.

Knit on……….

1 comment:

knitjo said...

Oh Kate,
I am thinking about you a lot. And I know how you feel even without having gone through the same thing--the worry, the tears, the WAIT...
The worst, nothing said can help. Keep the faith and keep knitting...