Wednesday 23 January 2008

Please don’t hate me…. I need a snow day!

Snow. Everywhere. And more today. And tonight too, probably. But nearly not enough to give me a decent “snow day”. You know what I mean by a “snow day”? Every Canadian school child lives and breathes for a snow day. A day where the school buses do not run, roads are impassable, schools are closed, and Mum and Dad breath alternating sighs of both frustration and relief that their day has been hijacked by the weather, and resign themselves to spending it at home. It’s the kind of day where Mother Nature stops everything and forces you to sit back and acknowledge the magnitude of her power. I want one of those days. I want a real honest to goodness snow day. I want the kind of snow day I remember from my youth, where I would wake up, don layers of woolly garments topped with one of my Dad’s big old torn red barn coats, fight my way to the barn, feed the horses hot mash and molasses, and they would chortle and blow steamy hot air through their noses in appreciation, and slouch contentedly in their stalls, warm against the screaming winds outside, happy to stay in and doze for the day.

I want a day where I don’t have to cavalierly pretend that I don’t mind driving on the almost-but-not-quite-bad-enough-to-stay-home blowing snow-covered roads, wipers swishing at a frantic pace, while I struggle to see the road and it’s hidden dangers ahead.

I want a day where good old-fashioned common sense outweighs the obligations of working for a living. Where sensibility does not have to weigh the consequences of missing a days work, and we can congratulate our selves for having the smarts to stay home and well out of harms way.

I want to spend a whole day, no, actually several in a row to be really truthful, with the cold wind and the snow blowing and gusting, creating massive impassable snow drifts right up to the doorstop, and me happily wrapped up in a woolly blanket with my very old white cat curled dreamily on my lap, sitting in my favourite chair beside the roaring fire, reading the very fine Christmas knitting books I received, knitting warm socks and drinking sweet hot tea.

Instead, I content myself with short evenings, knitting this cotton wrap, dreaming of warm summer breezes: It will have to do.

Knit on…………..

2 comments:

Susan said...

That's a picturesque and evocative post. Well done, you... you certainly have a way with words.

Joe said...

Amen! Especially after a morning like today... ugh.

Joe (Joe82 on Ravelry)