Saturday 27 October 2007

Look what the postman brought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Oh my gosh – do you see what I got in the mail today? It’s from my KTS4 swap pal,
Sanna ! She has spoiled me rotten! I am speechless, and trust me that doesn’t happen very often!

Look at the golden yellow sock wool. Produced on an island near Oulu, and obviously not easy to get I’m told, especially not dyed golden yellow I’ll bet, Sanna dug into her stash just for me – was’t that sweet of her? ! Go on…. Admire it, get closer…..
Beautiful colorway isn’t it; reminds me of summer. And interestingly, closer to a worsted weight, than what we would normally use for knitting socks here – my feet are going to be covered in golden toasty goodness this winter! I have just seen a lovely pattern in the new Interweave Holiday Gifts magazine which might be perfect for this wool: Citrine Socklets (scroll down)

And the variegated Easy Wool! The woodsy greens are divine, and I’m so excited my head is fairly spinning with the possibilities! The colors are looking at a marbled image of Google Earth. Sanna tells me that it is suitable for felting, so that will make it even harder to pick from amongst all the ideas floating around. I’m going to have to study the booklet more over a cup of tea!

And yes, there are teas, since that was part of the swap, oodles of different kinds begging to have the kettle put on. And my favourite cookie, oatmeal, or flakes, as Sanna calls them, and special Oulu tar candies (yup - made from tar, the kind you pitch a wooden boat with, not road tar silly! What – you knew that, so it was just me? Oh, how silly of me!), a local treat which I am eager to try! Hey, I wonder who's hand is trying to sneak an early treat?

And can you see the magazine and Easy Yarn booklet behind all this goodness?

This was how I had my coffee this morning, perusing through these beauties! Oh my – you should see the pictures – there are so many patterns in the magazine it’s breath-taking! I think Sanna may have to translate one or two for me. Even without being able to read it, I just love to look at the pictures and play with the wool!

Sanna – thank you again and again! I have loved our swap, and enjoyed our “conversations” and I am excited to know we will continue to “talk” for a long, long, long time to come. I still have a lot to learn about Finns, but I can tell you so far, they are warm and welcoming, thoughtful and genuine, great sense of humour, and wonderfully expressive and creative!!

It’s nice to know you have friends in far away places – makes the world a whole lot smaller!!

Knit on......

kate

2 comments:

-sanna- said...

You read my mind Kate. As soon as I saw the Citrine socks I thought the yellow yarn would be perfect for them. It would be great for mittens, too...

knitjo said...

Hey Kate;
I have some fleece artist merino silk sock wool almost the same colour and I am making the Citrine socklets also! (the ones in IK holidays?!)

BTW just heard about the meetup needing a new organizer. I was thinking maybe it would be easier on everyone if we had it rotate at different homes or at a cafe in a central location...what do you think? I need a SNB more than once a month...