Friday 20 August 2010

A little treat!

Yesterday I talked the G-man into taking to Chapters and Starbucks for a coffee and a browse through the latest knititng books. This is not as easy as it sounds since for outings I still rely on my wheelchair, which requires a willing pusher, and I leave the crutches behind, as the standing around is still exhausting.

I hadn't really thought I would find anything to new, and my knitting book collection at home is very reasonable and I have to be careful that I don't already have something reasonably similar. But I stumbled across this lovely book by Wendy Bernard from Knit and Tonic:

Chapters must have just got it in 'cause I hadn't seen in before. It is terrific - there are more than 10 sweaters I really, really like, and several that will be able to be made from stash yarn! The book is very  well laid out, and Wendy does an awesome job of detailing the potential alterations and variations that could be done to each of her patterns to customize the fit or change the look. It's like getting twice or even more, the patterns in one book. As well she has utilized either top down or bottom up in round for most of the patterns making seaming all but obsolete, and patterns faster and more streamlined knits. What's not to like? this time I decided not to wait for a sale or a coupon or whatever and went ahead and paid full price. I think I got a good deal considering what I am learning and all the different patterns I can make up from it. Highly recommended!

Knit on....

ps. This doesn't count as breaking my no yarn purchases and knitting only from stash self-imposed sentance, does it?? After all the intention is to knit a few of these patterns from the actual stash, right?

3 comments:

-sanna- said...

It's totally necessary to buy new books for stashbusting!

Unknown said...

That book has been at Chapter's for awhile, because I bought it two or three years ago...but it is one of my favorite (I need to stashbust in it also)...

SarcasticKlicker said...

Actually Kate, I bought that book over a year ago. I love the patterns in it. If I can finish Carmella's top down cardigan from Patons this fall, I'll be buying some yarn to make one of the beautiful patterns in there. I LOVE so many in that book that it will be hard to decide on a project.

How are you doing? How is your leg? Hope all is well with you and your daughter. :o)