Monday 26 July 2010

1 month check-up!

I am exactly one month post accident today and in to the recovery phase (really? a month already? hard to beleive) and today was check-up day.

I am happy to report I passed the test! While I closed my eyes and squeezed the nurses fingers, broke out in a cold sweat and made wussy noises in anticipation of the pain (which has been my constant companion every day - I can truthfully say now I have never experienced pain of that magnitude, not even when I had the girls, and hope I never due again) my surgeon (what is it with orothopedics ? They all look like they walked off a daytime soap opera set, and mine is no exception!) gently bent my knee up towards my chest for the first time since the accident. Discomfort - yup! definitely. Pain- nope! Woo-hoo! A lovely bend to about 75 degrees, apparently a very good indication that I will obtain at least 90% or better return to full operating function! We are all pleased!

What remains a mystery is if my actual knee will be kind to the newly manufactured tibia plateau upon which my knee joint sits once walking begins. Lets hope so! Still, another 4 weeks before any weight bearing activity is allowed and I intend to follow the advice religiously. But I am getting better on my crutches, and beginning to manouver around a bit. No up the stairs yet - dead lifting my own body weight up 14 steps on crutches causes quite a a bit of jolting around and I am unable to bend my leg out of the way and it bangs into the riser with every step, so I am still "living" on the lower level of my house, with period trips up the stairs, arse first!, for long re-juvinating showers!

All in all, I'm recovering on schedule, with no complications and for that I am grateful.

And yes, I am beginning to knit a bit. The scrap squares blanket that I started months ago is almost finished and I am now at the joining and finishing phase. And there has been a bit of work on the second sock that was worked on during DD1's extended stay in hospital prior to the accident.

Speaking of DD1, she continues on her remarkable recovery, baffling doctors with the reversal of her Pulmenary Hypertension. While she continues to be short of breath on exertion, and has lingering and puzzling body pain, she is leaps and bounds from where she was even this short month ago.

Knit on......

1 comment:

Jody said...

HANG IN THERE KATE! Great to hear from you and to know that progress is being made.