Monday 6 October 2008

One step forward, two socks back…

As ye shall knit, so shall ye frog! Rip it! Rip it!


My knitting is stepping out in the wrong direction!!! This past week I finished two socks, the second OnLine Clown sock for DD2 and the first of a pair of blue bed socks for my Aunt.

As I reached the toe of the OnLine sock I had great difficultly with the decreases not equal under sole with the top of toe, and after some serious examination I realized I had cast on an extra set of stitch repeats at the very beginning causing the count to be completely off and the sock to be much wider than its mate. Everything had worked beautifully, heels and gussets adding up nicely with no indication of trouble until I reached the toe. Groannnnn….. the only saving grace is that I am going to enjoy the lace pattern all over again!

I had also thought to do a quick pair of bed socks while travelling to the Eastern Townships in Quebec this weekend. Nothing fancy, easy knitting in the car, but the light worsted blue wool I was using knit up wider than expected and they too were to big and had to be ripped out – all that travel knitting time gone to waste! Shame!

Where is my head I am wondering? I am certainly distracted by all of my family and work obligations these days, but usually knitting stops my head from spinning and helps me to narrow my focus and concentration on just my handiwork, which is generally very restful for my head. But these slip-ups and errors in counting and measuring are down right silly and annoying – I have too many WIP projects to finish to waste time frogging all my hard work!


Knit on....

1 comment:

Susan said...

Yeah, but just think about how antsy you would have been with nothing in hand to knit. That sock, improperly sized as it was, served a purpose. Thank the Knitting Gods for it's brief life, and carry on... :)