Tuesday 20 May 2008

With a little help from my friends…………

All last week I have received gifts. Gifts given from the heart. Gifts of friendship, and love, and caring.

One of my closet friends, a very busy mum with one toddler and one babe in arms, found the time and energy to make us more than several wonderful microwaveable meals, I swear enough to feed us for a month, and delivered it along with her husband combining it with a badly needed visit with the G-man while I was yet again at Emergancy for another long late night. What a treat to come home from work on Friday and not have to cook on for most of the weekend, and we are still working on the leftovers, and I think there is still more in the freezer.

Another sweet neighbour had us over for dinner on Sunday night, allowing us to get a break from both the house and the care-giving, and DD1 some quiet me time with us still being close at hand. She has offered to be a neighbour on call several days a week, should our patient need anything in a hurry. What a dear she is, and how re-assuring for me.

And yet another darling friend, calls or e-mails everyday to check up on not only our patient, but all of us, to ensure we have everything we need, and to be the strong shoulder to vent on should it be necessary. I look forward to those encouraging daily affirmations that we are headed in the right direction, doing the right things, and the surety we will make it through this challenge in one piece.

My dear friend Susan calls me regularly to check up on us, offering her love and support, to remind me there is still a knitting life outside of my bubble, and charms me with details of her progress on her Kauni cardi, and the latest Japanese fabric choice for her nieces quilt. It is a bright spot in my day, and gives me time to catch my breath, clear my cluttered mind - she is the pause that refreshes me!

And on Friday the mailman brought something rather special from a far-away place. When I arrived home after work, it was sitting on the counter, and my heart jumped when I saw the address. It was from my friend Sanna in Finland. Now you will recall that Sanna and I have never actually met in person, but have become wonderful long distance friends through KTS4
last fall. It was evident early on that we had much in common besides knitting and tea.

When I unwrapped the pretty purple tissue, I found three things. A note, a book, and yes – a pair of handknit socks (look you can see here Sanna's picture better than mine turned out!).

Sanna had sent me a Mother’s Day gift along with her well wishes and thoughts for our family. I cannot tell you how touched I was, and how the tears of gratitude for her friendship and thoughtfulness filled my eyes. From so far away Sanna had sensed a need in this mum and she had known just how to fill it.

The lovely book, titled “Who will comfort Toffle?” is a classic in most Scandinavian homes, read to children and adults alike to provide comfort and encourage friendship and confidence in all who read Tove Jansson’s story. As you can see Sanna, the little storybook has been read by all the members of our family, and is already destined to become a standard in our home too!



As for the glorious socks, they are permanently ensconced on DD1’s feet, promptly claimed and happily pronounced them perfect for lounging in during lengthy recovery periods. The colour is a whisper soft variegated purple in hand-spun merino of beautiful quality. And need I say anything about the knitting, except that it is perfect in every way possible. The stitch pattern is simple and pleasing and shows the yarn to full advantage. Sanna even had the foresight to make these heelless, so they might fit any foot size. They are simply beautiful, and made even more so because they were a gift from the heart. Here they are in already in action:

Now can you see why I am so blessed? How I know that we will succeed in our quest for good health and happiness? How can we not, with friends like these supporting, loving, and nurturing us every step of the way.

As the song says:

How do I feel by the end of the day
Are you sad because you're on your own

No, I get by with a little help from my friends
, with a little help from my friends.

Knit on…………

1 comment:

-sanna- said...

It's wonderful that you have so much support in times like this!