Wednesday 14 May 2008

This too shall pass …

The enormity, and the longevity of the situation is really starting to hit home with each member of the family. But we maintain a positive outlook, and truly feel we cannot lose if we hold to our belief that “This too shall pass”, which is the mantra our family has long used to outlast the most difficult of times.

To help you understand, if you are curious, this is what has changed our family, and our beautiful DD1, this past month:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodgkin's_lymphoma.

And to help pass the time spent waiting and keeping watch, the sock knitting continues, small and plain, but somehow very comforting. The sock knitting travels in my purse, always at the ready when my hands become too restless and my brain needs distraction. Another pair of Knitpicks socks in Multi Peacock colorway is almost complete, with the second heel to be turned tonight.

I’m glad I bought so much sock yarn earlier this year - my stash has purpose now – to keep me entertained while on a tight budget!! I found many yarns I had forgotten about when I emptied out my craft room to return to its bedroom status. I have sweater yarns and sock yarns, and yarns for wraps and shawls and many other lovelies. And even though I rid myself of all those little teeny tiny balls of the end of the skein for other projects, I still have an enormous collection of odd balls which will work up into warm and soft scrap-ghans and scrap-wraps, perfect for cozying up under, which I think there will be a lot of that going on soon.

Monday I took some me time (while the G-man held the fort, and DD1 was still in hospital care recovering slowly but surely) and spent the evening in the very excellent company of the OKG knitters - just what I needed to rejuvenate my soul. The topic was lace, and the samples on display were incredibly beautiful. Items included many shawls of course, and a hand knit wedding dress from the 1980’s, and hand knit lace nightgown set from the 1908 or there about was brought in by one member. Incredible work!

It was an inspiring evening, with lots of hugs and soul boosting affirmations from my knitting pals – surely just the place to be for refreshing my spirit!

Knit on……….

No comments: