Friday 14 September 2007

The knitting is good….

I have been knitting like crazy this week! Very therapeutic, just the thing after last weeks frustrations! My project tracking list is getting some new check marks as small projects are cast off! Everything seems so much faster after the lengthy blanket knitting stretch! Yes I know, I need to remove the ticker bar and add a project tracker on the side bar! Susan – you and I gotta talk about those nifty bar graphs you got going over there at http://www.thefabricofherreality.blogspot.com/. Me, I’m not so up on the HTML things…

And speaking of The Blanket, it has been delivered to the Bank St. Yarn Forward http://www.yarnforward.com/ca/index.html for the afghans for Afghans campaign. I must admit, I was very sad to see it go. I have enjoyed looking at all the amazing blend of colors and fondling the edges as I walked by it every day. I am resolved to make another randomly coloured blanket in the same manner, probably for my own collection, out of the bits and pieces from my stash. It won’t be quite as sturdy as 100% wool is, since it will be a mix of acrylics and wool blends and odds and ends, but perfectly serviceable for our home and climate needs.

Another pair of Moda Dea Sassy Stripes Swish socks are off the needles, but one has a badly grafted toe (not sure what happened, but it is very lumpy, yuck!) which will absolutely need re-doing in a quiet moment over this coming weekend. And the lovely Moda Dea Sassy Stripes Vintage colorway has been cast on for another pair for DD2.

My Innu children’s sweater for www.findingfortygatheringknitting.blogspot.com fall campaign is well under way – a little adjusting is required as I am not getting good tension or gauge with the irregularly spun wool I am using, but some fiddling with the measurements and all will be well shortly. I am hoping to finish this one up very quickly, with a matching hat and mitts to follow. If I get down to the Creative Festival in Toronto in Oct, this children’s set will be my free entry ticket!!

The Every Other Tuesdays Are For Knitting crew is back in full swing for the fall. Borrowing an idea from my mum’s weekly scrabble nights, I’d added a dinner hour to our evenings together – made it easy on all of us – they bring their own entrée for the microwave, straight from work if they want and I provide the salad and all manner of beverages! Woo-hoo!! Worked like a charm and everyone was happily fed and relaxed with the days frustrations left behind when we headed to the family room to knit. This was a very good idea, which shall be continued!

And I got a bonus evening spent with more knitters this week, at the Ottawa Sticks and Hooks Meet-up last night! Susan brought her Kauni cardi kit (look here: http://www.ruths.dk/kauni%20egt%20opskrift.pdf ) to show us – OMG – it is more gorgeous than I ever imagined! (Precious told you she’s an enabler, yes we’s did!) I simply couldn’t stop fondling the yarn – I’m sorry I forgot my camera – it is luscious and the self-striping colorways are amazing to see in person! She’s fearless, that Susan, and makes me ashamed of my own hesitation in jumping into the ring! Scary stuff this steeking business, never mind the two stranded knitting!

Still I’m on a stash reduction diet for a bit longer yet, although I know myself well enough that I won’t be able to hold out if I get to either the Creativ Festival or the Inspirations Needlework show. So no Kauni kit for me, well for the moment anyway!

And coming up fast on Monday Sept 17th is the first fall meeting of the Ottawa Knitting Guild – for details go here: http://www.ottawaknittingguild.ca/Public/Home.aspx - hope to see you there! The theme for this meeting – socks – how perfect is that!

Knit on………

kate

ps. Did you see the quilting magazines Susan??? ...hummmmm......

1 comment:

Susan said...

I thought I felt a disturbance in the force... here you are talking me up. It sure was a fun week, full of knitting goodness... looking forward to tonight at the Guild.
I see the magazines... :)